Shrikhand or Amrakhand is a very popular and traditional Maharashtrian dessert which is usually made during festivals, occasions, get-together, etc. It is prepared with different flavors but the base remains the same which is chakka / fresh yogurt / Greek yogurt. To make it more tasty and delicious you can add various flavors to shrikhand like mango, elaichi, Kesar, dry fruit, and many more.
Today I will be sharing Mango Shrikhand / Amrakhand recipe which I have further flavored it with Kesar and added crunchiness with almonds. Shrikhand is made from fresh yogurt / dahi with added sugar and is served typically with poori (Indian wheat bread deep fried and puffed) or chapati.
When you add mango pulp to Shrikhand it is called ‘Amrakhand’ (Mango Shrikhand). It is very smooth in texture and creamy. A simple and delicious recipe to make.
- 1kg – plain fresh creamy yogurt / dahi (homemade or Market)
- 2cup – powdered sugar (or as required).
- 1cup – mango pulp
- ½ bowl – mango pieces (small)
- 4tsp – sliced almonds
- 3tsp – charoli / chironji (Buchanania lanzan)
- 3/4 sticks – saffron
Basic step or Firstly: We will need a muslin or cotton cloth to tie the yogurt. It should be left overnight so that the water drains and this process takes 8-10hrs. It is advised to keep in the fridge otherwise it may turn sour. I have prepared this recipe from yogurt purchased from the market but you can use homemade dahi / yogurt just keep in mind that it should be fresh and should not be sour in taste.
Secondly: I have used fresh mango pulp you can use the mango pulp brought from stores.
STEP BY STEP PROCESS
1. In a muslin or cotton cloth place the curd and tie it nicely. Place it in a sieve in a large mixing bowl with enough space for water to accumulate at the bottom of the bowl without touching the sieve. Leave it overnight to drain all water. OR you can hang it to a fixed hook for 6hrs till the water is completely drained.
2. Once all water is drained a thick chakka / hung curd is ready for further process.
3. Remove chakka / hung curd in a mixing bowl.
4. Separate it nicely with the help of a spatula and further start whisking it with a whisker or you can also use a hand mixer if whisking is difficult for you.
5. Once it becomes a little smooth in texture add powdered sugar and mix it thoroughly till the sugar is dissolved giving a fine smooth texture of chakka.
6. Once the sugar is dissolved add Mango pulp and mix it nicely.
7. Once the Mango pulp is mixed well add 4 kesar sticks, sliced almonds, charoli, and mango pieces and mix it gently.
8. Our delicious Mango Shrikhand / Amrakhand is ready.
9. Serve it in serving bowl topping it with few mango pieces.
You can relish this dessert with Poori / Chapati but I love to have it plain.
- As we are preparing dessert make sure you use fresh yogurt for good taste.
- You can add dry fruits as per your choice or you can even use cardamom powder for a new flavor.
- Once the Shrikhand is ready, refrigerate it for at least 1to2 hours, it tastes yummier when served chill.
- Advised to make it at least 2hours before you serve so that all flavors mix well, sugar gets dissolved nicely and becomes great in taste.
Please share your comments once you prepare.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is solely my views of a place and food. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity, or nation. My views can change from time to time based on my latest experience. I am an independent owner of this site and the views expressed in this are my own. All photographs are owned by me.
Stay Happy & Healthy!!!