‘Sheera’ is one of our traditional food which is served as sweet breakfast or as a dessert after meal which is also known as ‘Suji ka Halwa’ in hindi. Sheera is a kind of pudding made from fine semolina, sugar, ghee and added saffron for more richness. For making it more delight nuts are added.
This recipe is very simple and doesn’t require any preparations. It’s easy, quick and healthy recipe mainly for kids/children. The rich texture, soft and fluffy sheera will definitely satisfy your sweet tooth.
In our state (Maharashtra) sheera is prepared on auspicious or festive occasions like puja, ganesh utsav, satyanaryana puja. This is offered as prasad/prasadam in small portion to guests. Though the method is bit different while making for puja.
This recipe can be made with different variations and I have done few by using less ghee and sugar. Ideally this recipe is very sweet and smooth. Secondly, it is cooked in water & milk both but I am using only water in my recipe.
So, Let’s start with the recipe
- 1 cup Rava (suji/Semolina)
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup ghee(purified butter)
- 1 glass of water
- 6-7 strings of kesar (saffron)
- 2 tsp of blanched badam (almonds), few charoli/chironji (Buchanania lanzan)
1. Place a pan or kadai on stove add 1 tsp of ghee and roast nuts till they turn little golden brown. remove it in a plate and keep it aside.
2. Now in same pan or kadai add 3 tsp of ghee and rava. Roast rava nicely on medium low flame. keep it mixing so that its roasted evenly. you need to see that rava is not over roasted or doesn’t burn otherwise sheera will not taste good.
3. At same time on other side of gas stove place a vessel and add 1 glass of water. let the water get warm/hot. no need to boil we just need hot water or warm.
4. Once rava is roasted nicely and evenly in ghee add hot water into it. suggest you to add half of the water mix it well and then add the remaining water and 2tsp of ghee. Now close it with a lid and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes.
5. Open the lid add 1 cup sugar and mix it nicely with the help of spatula. close the lid again and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. sugar will dissolve and will a give a smooth texture.
6. Add roasted nuts, kesar and 1 tsp of ghee to it. mix it nicely & close the lid for 1-2 minutes. then turn of the gas and open the lid after 10 minutes. Here you can taste sheera and check if the sweetness is correct as per your taste. If you want more sweet then you can add more sugar along with other ingredients. I have crushed saffron strings by hand so that it blends immediately into sheera.
7. our delicious sheera is ready to serve
- Every person prepares same dish differently. I have used less ghee & water compared to the traditional or actual Sheera as per my taste.
- when you add same quantity of water as per rava then the texture of sheera/halwa will be the same as i have prepared in the above recipe i.e. light and non sticky but when you add more water, sheera will be sticky and smooth in texture.
- Adding ghee will give you taste and fluffiness to sheera.
- Instead of saffron you can add food color also (orange or mango).
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is solely my views of a place and food. This does not offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time based on my latest experience. I am an independent owner of this site and the views expressed in this are my own. All photographs are owned by me.
Stay Happy & Healthy!!!