‘Sprouted Moong Bhel’ a Healthy twist for chaat bhel. This recipe is easy and simple to prepare yet delicious and healthy. sprout chaat is made from freshly homemade moong sprouts combined with chaat spices, crunchy veggie & added tangy flavor. This dish can be served as an evening snack or as a ‘Salad’ by not adding chaat ingredients to it.
Moong means green gram or mung. Best thing about this recipe is there is no cooking, no oil involved.
Pre preparation: To use homemade moong bean sprouts it takes around 2-3 days to sprout moong. In case, you don’t have that much time you can buy sprouts from supermarket or stores. secondly, you can use any other sprouts following same method of preparation.
Method to sprout the Moong beans
In a big bowl or vessel take one cup of moong beans, wash them 2-3 times and soak them in water and keep it overnight or 8-10 hrs. Next day, moong beans will become soft and double the size. Now, drain all water from it and tie the beans in a muslin cloth or keep in casserole hot pot for 1-2 days. You will be able to see sprouts germinating from the moong beans.
(If you don’t have time to sprout the beans no problem you can also use overnight soaked moong beans i.e. unsprouted beans into bhel or salad)
Lets start with the recipe:
- 1bowl sprouted moong beans.
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1/2 tsp of lemon juice
- salt as per taste
- chaat masala as required
- small bowl of tamarind chutney
- small bowl of green (mint/pudina)chutney
For Garnish / toppings
Step by Step Method
1. Take 1 bowl of sprouted moong. On a gas stove place a vessel or pan pour some water and sprouted moong beans into it. add 1/2 tsp of salt into and let it boil for about 3-4 mins on medium low flame.
2. Once boiled then drain all water with the help of strainer or colander.
3. Gather all ingredients for making moong sprout chaat/bhel. Chopped onion, tomatoes, coriander. seasoning Salt, chaat masala and 1/2 lemon juice. For mixing tamarind & green chutney.
4. In a mixing bowl add beans, onion, tomatoes, coriander, salt, chaat masala & 1/2 tsp of lemon juice.
5. Mix it nicely and now add tamarind & green chutney as per your taste.
6. Our chaat/bhel is ready now lets plate it & garnish it with papdi and sev.
7. Plate the sprout bhel and garnish it with papdi & sev.
Benefits: Not only elders but kids will also love it. It can be given in snack box. Sprouted Moong beans are high in protein, magnesium, potassium, folate, zinc and due to high nutrient content sprouted moong beans are good source of energy and easy to digest.
- Even without adding chutney’s it will taste good. Just add chaat masala.
- when added chutney needs to be consumed immediately otherwise it will become watery.
- you can skip adding chutney’s and serve it as salad.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is solely my views of a place and food. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time based on my latest experience. I am an independent owner of this site and the views expressed in this are my own. All photographs are owned by me.
Stay Happy & healthy!!!