‘Til Gul Poli’ or ‘Gul poli’ is mostly prepared during ‘Makar Sankranti’ which is one of the few ancient Indian festivals that has been observed according to solar cycles, while most festivals are set by the lunar cycle of lunisolar. Being a festival that celebrates the solar cycle, it always falls on the same date of every year (January 14), except in some years the date shifts by a day(January 15).
Til Gul Poli is one of our traditional (Maharashtrian) food prepared on Makar Sankranti which is celebrated the next day of Bhogi festival, which I have referred in my previous blog post.
What is Til gul Poli ?
Til means sesame, Gul means Jaggery and poli means flat bread. It is basically a sweet flat bread stuffed with sesame & jaggery. This poli can be eaten as dessert, as snacks or during meals. It has irresistible taste which crave you for more. This recipe is very simply and can be made during winters. To make Til Gul Poli you will require very basic ingredients which are easily available at home.
So, let’s start with the recipe. There are various variations to make stuffings but i will be sharing recipe which i have learnt from my mother.
- ½ cup Sesame seeds
- ¼ cup Jaggery powder (taste depends on the type of Jaggery you will be using)
- 4 tbsp Besan (Gram flour)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 3tsp of Ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 cup of whole wheat flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1tbsp of cooking oil
Step by Step Process
- In in pan or Kadai dry roast sesame seeds on medium low flame & keep it a side.
2. In the same pan add 1 tblsp ghee and besan (gram flour) roast for about 2 min. roast it nicely by continuously stirring so that it doesn’t burn or stick to the bottom of the pan after 2 mins turn off the gas and add 3 tsp of ghee to it. as the pan is hot it will melt immediately and get mixed with gram flour. keep stirring, the gram flour will turn light brown color giving a nutty aroma.
3. Once it cool downs, add roasted sesame seeds and gram flour in a mixer grinder. grind it roughly/coarsely.
Then add jaggery powder to it mix it with a help of spatula and again grind it. Remove it in a plate and add cardamom powder, mix it nicely. our stuffing is ready.
For Flat bread (dough)
1.Take 2cup of wheat flour, add pinch of salt and 1tblsp oil. start mixing it with the hand by adding water slowly into it. knead the dough .
How to make Til Gul Poli
1. Place a tawa on gas stove. Now, take small portion from dough place it on a rolling board with the help of rolling pin, roll it little flat. Take it in your hand and add 1tbsp of stuffing. Now with the help of your finger tips make it like flower petal’s and then gently close it making a round shape and then flatten it. Once you start rolling it will flatten making into roti/poli.
‘Til gul poli’ will rise nicely, then apply little ghee on both the sides.
Our Til Gul Poli is ready to serve. Plate it & serve it hot.
- stuffing should be very fine orelse otherwise you will be not able to roll the poli evenly. you can sieve the powder from a strainer.
- I have used jaggery powder which is available in market but incase you don’t find then you can use the jaggery cubes by grating it or crush into small pieces.
- The dough should be knead medium not very hard or loose.
- place a clean kitchen cloth or dust dry flour on the rolling board to avoid sticking. roll the poli gently.
- Applying ghee will enhance taste and making poli soft.
Disclaimer: The content of this blog is solely my views of a place and food. This is not to offend any class, religion, ethnicity or nation. My views can change from time to time based on my latest experience. I am an independent owner of this site and the views expressed in this are my own. All photographs are owned by me.
Stay Happy & Healthy!!!